Sunday, June 28, 2015

Still Room for Hope: Alisa Kaplan

Pages:304
Publisher:FaithWorks

I picked this book up in the library and read the synopsis and was immediately intrigued by it. I must say I've been n a reading rut for a while and also because I was taking two extensive classes and barely had time to read. I finished this book in three days simply because I had to work and had to put it aside, otherwise I really think I could've finished this book in a day. I really enjoyed this book a lot. This story is simply powerful and refreshing at the end.

Alisha Kaplan was just sixteen years old when she was gang raped by three boys (one of which was her so called boyfriend)at a beach house party. These were her so called friends at that. Her three friends had oral, vaginal, and anal sex with her unconscious body, first on the couch and then on a pool table. They slapped her and pinched her as well as making signs to each other that she was still out cold. They continued this assault on Alisa for more than forty minutes,, mean mugging the camera pretending they were some badass gangsters. They did this all while repeatedly assaulting her with the end of a pool cue,a snapple bottle, a juice can, and a lit cigarette;she had been drugged. After her brutal rape, Alisa went on a downward spiral of relying on booze to make her feel better, and eventually it's just went downhill even further than that. She started experimenting with Meth and eventually ended up becoming a Meth addict. She was really in her lowest of lows. She started not to care about her appearance (something she always made sure was always perfect looking), she didn't shower, she started to develop those open scabs that meth heads develop when they start scratching from the creepy crawly sensation you get on your skin, she started to hang out with boyfriends that beat her repeatedly and got her high all day everyday, she started to sleep in drug house that were covered in filth, sleeping behind a dumpster at a McDonalds on an awful stained mattress. Everyday things just seemed to go even more wrong for Alisa. The media was harassing her family, following them around, overall making their life a living hell.

After she went through the ups and downs of her situation, Alisa got the help she needed from a rehab center, and she found a relationship with God after accompanying her mother on a church retreat. Being on that retreat helped open her eyes to everything that was happening with her rape and that she shouldn't blame her self for it. She became an advocate for all women out there who has been through sexual assault. She's heavily involved with her church and everyday was a growing experience for her.

I must say again this book was so good. I admire the fact that she overcame her assault(well almost) and stopped blaming herself for what happened to her. I must admit I was so angry when I read that everyone was calling her a whore and other mean and nasty stuff over something that tragically happened to her. I mean how can you really just sit there and defend those poor excuses for human beings? The courts were even worse on the stand, making her feel even more guiltier and making her out to be total trash. I felt so many emotions reading this book, it really just amazes me how disgusting and vile people are. What's even worse is that the people who did this to her were her own so-called friends. This story hits a bit to home because I had a co-worker who at the time was a friend and she was going through a similar situation, and the tragic part of it is that she is now dead because of a heroine overdose. It's truly sad.

I encourage everyone out there to read this book and let the message sink in as well if you're a survivor of a tragedy like this. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT! you can get help and there will be someone out there for you willing to stay by your side and help you out.

My Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment